cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco router to dial up ISP

rleyba828
Level 1
Level 1

I am fairly new to Cisco products being a solid telecoms guy the past many years.

I just took my ICND course a few weeks ago and now want to get up to speed as quickly as possible on any Cisco router product to get some experience.

To get some practice, is there any cheap Cisco SOHO router (one that I can get off e-bay) that would allow me to dial up to my ISP and establish a normal intrnet connection? In other words, instead of my XP machine doing the PPP link,. I connect my Win XP machine to the router and I let the router do the out-dial?

Someone lent me a 2610 and a 1600 but I have no idea how to configure these boxes for ISP dial (and what WIC s are required.

many thanks.

I

4 Replies 4

marinos_g
Level 1
Level 1

try this link. You'll find Cisco product portofolio

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/index.html

I guess you are looking for something like SOHO 7x, SOHO 9x, 800, 1600, 1700 series.

Maybe you want to have a look on this as well.

http://linksys.com/products/

Linksys is a division of Cisco Systems, Inc, provider of secure, easy-to-use home networking products.

You have everything you need already with the 2610 except, perhaps, the cable required to connect the AUX port to an external modem. Dial on demand using the AUX port is a common configuration and there are multiple example configs on http://www.cisco.com. Be aware that there are some IOS bugs which can make it a little more challenging, so if one approach doesn't work, try another (e.g., you can do DDR with dialer maps on interface Async65 or use a dialer bound to the Async interface with either dialer maps or dialer profiles). Bottom line: lots of learning opportunities.

The trick is you either need a router with an AUX port or you'll need to buy a sync/async interface for the router. The AUX port only does async, a separate card gives you other challenges to attack.

Warning note: If you want something that works with minimum effort, follow the previous posters advice and get a linksys or other SOHO router. But if you follow that path, don't expect to learn anything about configuring Cisco routers, which I believe is your true goal.

Good luck and have fun!

Vincent C Jones

www.networkingunlimited.com

Hi Vincent.....there you go...AUX port....that's the key. Someone DID tell me that the AUX port is for INCOMING calls only....so I never really did a search on that term....but I'm doing searches now of "AUX" and "DDR" just to see where that leads me.

In any case, thanks for the tips and hope you don't mind if I throw you a few questions every now and then.

--robert

Hi marinos, thanks for the response. I did check the links you mentioned, there was a ton of information, but perhaps too much for the specific question I was asking.....nevertheless, I printed the product portfolio to get up to speed on what options are available.

I also checked the linksys site and didn't quite get to see a particular model that I would address my specific inquiry.

I checked the next post reply in this thread and it seems that I might already be able to get started, I just need someone to point me in the right direction as to which scripts I can use.

In any case, many thanks for your inputs.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card