Helpful
Replies

Conditioning cable re-termination

ali.fahmi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I purchased conditioning Cable (CAB-GELX-625),

the problem is , its connector doesnt match with my gigabit interface (I use LC connector) and my patch panel (my patch panel is ST). as we know that conditioning cable connector is SC on the both ends.

my question is, Is there any impact if I cut the connector and re-terminate with connector which match with my patch panel and my GBIC. I will glad if one of you has experience with this conditioing cable.

Thanks in advace

rgds,

Ali Fahmi

5 Replies 5

Hello Ali,

unless you have the equipment, which is very expensive and very sophisticated, I think it is probably easier to purchase an SC-ST conditioning cable. I have seen a few times how fiber optic cables are welded and terminated, it is not easy and also potentially dangerous.

I don´t know what the Cisco part number is, but when you do a search on Google for ´sc st conditioning cable´ there are plenty of suppliers, which are usually much cheaper than Cisco...:)

HTH,

GP

Cisco only sell Conditioning cable with SC connector on the both ends, I also dont know why cisco only sell this conditioning cable without any other options...

for terminating FO, I would like to use service from

company which has expertise in Fiber optic, I hope they can done well ...

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

There are a number of companies that sell adaptive couplers.

These people have adapters that will work: http://www.optequip.com/index.php?page=ct&psec=couplers

(I googled "fiber optic adapter coupler")

As mentioned above, re-terminating fiber requires special tools and very specific processes to do it right.

Couplers @ US$10.00 each is probably the best way to go.

Good Luck

Scott

Hi Scott, My Fiber optic vendor also suggest to use FO Coupler, I just browse and get it with price 9-10 USD,

but I still worry about the performance,since coupler will increase DB Loss at FO, any coments?

The loss is generally negligible, especially for local connections.

I would expect less than 0.25db loss per coupler (but I haven't see the specs).

FWIW

Scott