cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

connection between SFP and GBIC

simkok
Level 1
Level 1

I have two switch, cat3550-12G and cat3750-48TS. I want to connect two switchs with fiber. but adaptors type on two switch are different, one is GBIC another is SFP. Could I make a link between two switch using fiber cable with sc and lc connector type? or must it be making connection between same kind of adator?

4 Replies 4

geoff.belknap
Level 1
Level 1

As long as both the SFP and the GBIC are identical in other respects (ie: both Multi-Mode SX or both Multi-Mode LX) you can purchase an LC - SC Duplex Jumper. A 2 Meter jumper is around $50 from any major networking retailer.

Like Geoff said, just buy a pre-assembled patch cable with the connectors you need at each end. You'll save time, money, and aggravation. Unless you want the experience of making one yourself.

Get more than one. You never know when you're going to need a spare.

thank you very much, geoff.

Hello JIN,

Thank you for contacting the Sales Acceleration Center (SAC) regarding your recent inquiry, Case Number429288.

Case Description:
connection between SFP and GBIC

Case Solution:

In order to display the product inventory listing of all Cisco products installed in the networking device, use the show inventory command in user EXEC or privileged EXEC mode.

In some scenarios, it is seen that after you upgrade the Cisco IOS  on the Catalyst 6500 switch to Cisco IOS Software Release 12.2(18)SXF5 and later, the show inventorycommand does not display the serial number of the GBICS or it is blank as shown here:

NAME: "Gigabit Port Container 3/5", DESCR: "Gigabit Port Container"
PID: , VID:  , SN:

This reason this occurs is that GBICs and SFPs suppress the output because they are not yet Unique Device Identifier (UDI) compliant.

In such cases, issue the show inventory raw command, which retrieves information about all of the Cisco products installed in the networking device, even if the entities do not have a product ID (PID) value.

Refer to the How to Retrieve the Unique Device Identifier section of Unique Device Identifier Retrieval for more information.