cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Controlling Serial Interface Signal

jspinella
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to control the signal on a serial interface simular to DDR?

I'm working on a network that requires only one user on the network at a time (Half-Duplex). The problem is that when the router comes up, it starts sending packets, this signal is causing the activation of other equipment. This seizes the network for that user and prevents other users from using it until the first user is done. The only way to allow another user online is to shut down the interface, which in turn, allows another user online but they would have to also shutdown after they are done to allow a third user to use the network. I need to have the serial interface spoof until interesting outgoing traffic is detected (like DDR).

This would allow users to enter and exit the network as needed as in "On Demand" for outbound and inbound traffic.

Is there a way to perform the same function as DDR but backwards? Like a floating static route for IP on a serial interface or using the serial (Leased Line) as a backup for ISDN? I was figuring on configuring a "fake" ISDN, and intentionally keeping it down with a low keepalive or something to force traffic to bring up the serial on a "On Demand" basis.

I'm just one test away from my CCNP and alot of ideas are running around my head but need some help.

Any ideas?

Thanks

John Spinella, CCNA

1 Reply 1

b.hsu
Level 5
Level 5

Try using back serial interface which wil trigger when the other interface is down.