Replies

Core & Edge Switch design

sunil.kamat
Level 1
Level 1

I need to designe the Active componenets (Switches) for one organisation

The designe is for a Local LAN core & edge switches

Details are :-

1.there are 3 floors - Grd,First,Second & third main DC is at the gr. Core switch will be placed here

2. Grd. floor have 536 users

3. First floor have 2-hub room Hub-1 have 231 users & Hub-2 have 346 users

4. second floor also have 2 hub romms hub room-1 have 303 users & hub-2 have 390 users

5. Third floor also have 2-hub romms hub-1 have 222 users & hub-2 have 341 users

My question is what kind of Cisco switch i should propose for the edge & core with justification

Also whether the kind of switches proposed will take the amount of traffic

The Uplink between Core & Edge switches are 1000 Mb fiber

Regards

4 Replies 4

mohamed-khadr
Level 1
Level 1

Sunil,

You need to do node,application, and bandwidth analysis(technical) and ROI & Risk/Reward analysis(finanical) for your client.

It's all about how much $$ your client want to spend and the type of enviroment ( server farm applications). If $$ is not an issue, you can have Cat 6509 with sup720 as a core( this Cat will give you 720 gig backplane, up to 48 port gig module,) and will allow you to push up to 10gig on each uplink to edge switches which can be either 4509 or 6513 w/ sup I or II.<<< that will be a design solution for 7-10 years>>>.

Hi Mohamed,

Thanks for your advice

I had proposed Cat 2950G-24 & 2950SX as the edge switches & Cat 4506 as the core , will this type of switch design will accomodate the backbone traffic or suggest whether this type of solution is possible

Any way the backplane capacity for Cisco 4506 series switch is 64GBPS which is up t chasis . what is the max GBPS per line card including the sup module

Also the same for Cat 2950G & SX

Regards

Sunil,

If yo go with this layout, yo going to need to stack the 29xx since you said you have 200+ users on each floor.Again, it's always what the client can afford.

Regards,

mohAmed

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

In this case, I would go for two 4506 with Supervisor 3 in the core, connected by a 2-link EtherChannel on the Supervisor cards. Populate these with as many 6-port Gbps cards as you need for the uplinks.

At the edge, I would go for 4506 again, but with S2 cards. Use the Gbit bports on the supervisors to uplink, one to each core switch. With that number of users, you wil need two switches in each closet, i.e. 4 per floor, plus 3 for the ground floor. That is, 15 altogether. Populate these chassis with as many 48-port RJ45 10/100 cards as you need. Eazch chassis can support up to 240 ports.

One advantage of using 4506 throughout is that you can keep you on-site spares inventory to a minimum.

With the solution you are proposing, you will need to stack awfully deep.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card