Views
Helpful
Replies

CRCs on Router Interfaces

markp
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I am using Cisco 805 for my 256kbps internet connection and trying to solve CRC errors found on Ethernet and Serial Interfaces of my router. We already conduct BER Testing with the line and found no problem. We change modems, routers, and cables but still CRC occurs. Can we eliminate this error since I have VoIP that was possibly the cause of disturbance during conversation. Hoping for your response.

Mark

3 Replies 3

mfreijser
Level 1
Level 1

Usually, lot’s of CRC errors indicate that there are clocking problems somewhere in the network. Clocking conflicts can lead to degraded performance, as you are experiencing.

You can find more information, and possibly a solution on the link below.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008007cdd5.html

Regards,

Michaël

Hi!

Thanks for the reply. How about the Input errors and frame? DOes it have a connection to CRC errors? What I did is I've tried copying the configuration of Cisco 805 to Cisco 2501 but still CRC, & Input errors increments. The link that you've gave is interesting, is it possible for you to send me a simple one?

The information in de webpage I gave you was the best information that I could find. This exact information can be found in multiple documents on Cisco.com, my guess is that they copy-pasted it in different documents.

It gets a little more difficult as you already did a BER Test, and tried different types of equipment and cabling. The problem is usually in the hardware or the internet connection itself.

There are a few more causes for CRC errors:

Another common cause of CRC errors is noise. Cabling located too close to noise sources such as power panels, heavy machinery, etc., can cause noise. If a cabling installation is particularly faulty (such as pairs being untwisted at the point of termination, improper terminations, field terminated patch cables, and so on). Poorly manufactured components or minimally compliant components that are improperly installed can compound this issue. Cabling segments that are too long can also cause these errors. Try to exclude these causes!

To be honest...all the information I gave you is all I actually know about CRC errors and solving them. I hope this helps to solve your problem!

Regards,

Michaël