cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP server updating internal DNS

Lubomir Prda
Level 1
Level 1

Has someone hopefully configured DHCP server on a ios router to automatically update the internal DNS server or host/cache records? I am trying to pull out this configuration, but I not able to get it to work. The idea behind this is following:

I am using Cisco Router as DHCP server for wireless lan. The cisco's implementation of DHCP lacks the feature, to see hostnames, that are sent in the DHCP messages. By issuing 'sh ip dhcp binding', I can see all the active leases, but without hostnames. If I do not set the domain suffixes in pool I get a warning, that domain name will use default domain of the router and the domain name of the station is actually in the log. So the DHCP server recognizes the domain names. But how to get to them?

I am thinking about this idea registering them internally via DDNS, but I was not able to pull out the configuration, that would do this.

2 Replies 2

Hello

Although cisco routers /multilayer swiches support dhcp/dns I would personally use a specific server like windows/unix to support ip address allocation and name resolution

Enabling these services on routers/switches will only take up valuable resources like cpu/memory but then again it depends in how large your estate you need to support?.

Regards having them to be primary dns servers with ddns capability again I personally dont think this is a viable solution however i think it is feasible with cisco devices not sure as to what ios train or device would support this.

Res
Paul

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Resources are no concern here, this is the only role of the router. There is no other traffic coming towards it other then DHCP requests.