cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Different OSPF process ids

dahirton
Level 1
Level 1

I do have two routers running OSPF but within different process ids. They're connected thru both LAN interfaces and each of those pertains to different ids. Both routers have setup adjency. I'd like to know if this is a right approach of connection between two routers running ospf. I particularly have never saw this before, usually routers are in the same process id and interfaces in the same area.

Thanks,

2 Replies 2

nuno.morais
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

The OSPF process id is local to a router, so this is not a problem for adjacencies. Two routers don't need to have the same process id to become adjacent. Regarding the interfaces on different areas, I'm afraid I didn't understand your problem, but anyway: if two routers are connected to the same segment/subnet they have to agree on the area, that is, that subnet has to belong to one area only, otherwise there will be an area mismatch.

Hope this helps.

NM

Thanks Nuno. Ya you're right, the routers have their interface in the same area, therefore it seems to be fine. I was wondering about the process ids as It doens't like to be a regular approach, but anyway you cleared by doubt.

Thanks again!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card