Views
Helpful
Replies

Dns Configuration Question

nemiath76
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I need some feedback regarding a network setup.

A 1800series router is configures as an adsl router.

It also carries 2 ethernet connections.

int f0  is connected to my inside home network.(192.168.0.0/24)

int f1 is connected to a mikrotic router (10.2.101.0/24)

The mikrotic router is actually a  gateway to a wireless metropolitan network. The metropolitan network is actually a class A network 10.0.0.0/8

I am having some issues configuring the dns service.

mikrotik router has dns enabled and  answers all my queries for the wireless network.

cisco has dns enabled and answers all my normal internet queries.

What i need is by entering only my cisco as a dns server to automatically get responses for both my networks.

is that possible?

If a enter the mikrotik router as a primary dns it works as long as my wireless links are up. If mikrotik wireless links (towards tha wireless community)

go down then all resolving stops.

my dhcp pool config:

ip dhcp pool aeon_pool

import all

network 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0

dns-server 8.8.8.8 10.2.101.1

default-router 192.168.0.254

any dns conf:

ip domain name garden.org

ip host Aeon 192.168.0.254

ip host Pulsar 10.2.101.1

ip name-server 8.8.8.8

ip name-server 10.2.101.1

5 Replies 5

kcnajaf
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Karolo,

Sorry to say that i didnt understand what exactly you are trying to achive :-( May be my fault. As i understand it your network have only exit to internet which is through milkrotik router..

The point i didnt understand is that what exactly you are trying to resolve internally? Do you have any intra net?

Is your requirment is to internally resolve your hostname as Aeon to 192.168.0.254 & Pulsar to 10.2.101.1?

From the DHCP pool i can see that you have configured the DNS as 8.8.8.8 which is public dns server hosted on internet. So it make sence that dns resolution stops when milkrotik wireless goes down as it can not communicate with the internet for dns resolution.

It would be great if you could be specific about your requirment.

Appologies for my lack of understanding of your requirment.

Regards

Najaf

My network has one internet exit through Cisco's Dialer 1 and one extranet (city wireless network) through eth0 interface.

Eth0 interface is connected to the microtik router. Mikrotik router has wireless cards and dishes.

I can access all networks by using ip adresses since my routing is correct.

What i need is to configure my dns correctly so when requesting an extranet name (example wind.awmn) to get a proper 10.0... response.

10.2.101.1 (mikrotik) takes care of resolving 10.0.0.0 city network.

8.8.8.8 takes care of internet resolving.

How can i configure my cisco to automatically resolve both networks?

Hi Karolo,

This make more sense now..I got a over all picture now.

On the dhcp scope i could see that you have set up both dns servers (8.8.8.8 & 10.2.101.1). Do you mean to say still the dns resolution is not working? Or are you trying to resolve names from the Cisco device rather than client device?

Regards

Najaf

No i am using cisco as a dns from my computer.

Cisco  use 2 DNS servers. 10.2.101.1 (1) and 8.8.8.8 (2).

Cisco is also a DHCP server with same DNS servers and same order.

My pc gets 10.2.101.1 as primary and 8.8.8.8 as secondaty DNS server.

When Microtik shuts down i get timeout on all lookups.

This doesnt seem like a cisco issue but rather a windows one...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: