cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

[DNS] Why cant I access cisco.com in the browser with its CDN address?

mera2me
Level 1
Level 1

Hey.

When I ping www.cisco.com in CMD the DNS will convert it to an IP address. With that IP  I should be able to access the website in the web-browser. But how does come it do not work with CDN? I always thought that when i ping something i will get back the IP address of the domain. 

Take Google.com for example. When i ping www.google.com it do not return a CDN (IP) but rather a IP address, that i can type in the browser and connect directly to google. 

Do google not use CDN? 

And how can i see the "REAL" IP address of the domain in CMD?

Pinging e2867.dsca.akamaiedge.net [88.221.37.27] with 32 bytes of data:  (CISCO.COM)

Pinging www.google.com [172.217.21.164] with 32 bytes of data:

2 Replies 2

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- A domain never has an ip-address attached as such, most those get delegated and or can have different values , if needed and or for load balancing purposes for hosts. Mostly hosts get ip addresses in that context , not domains.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Could you elaborate? I didn't understand everything you wrote.  

What I understood from your reply is that, unlike hosts there's no fixed or temporary (DCHP / DCHPV6) IP address attached to a domain. 

But if a domain never have a IP attached to it, how can DNS resolve it to an IP, and know which domain is connected to which IP?  And how can i connect from different parts of the world with a CDN that´s not connected to the domain?