Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP and Stub routing

lars
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there

Please correct me if I'm wrong (which I most likely is...). When using "eigrp stub", am I supposed to get a default route or a copy of the entire routing table on the stub router?

Otherwise how do I only advertise a default route to a stub router.

The reason for using EIGRP to this task is because I've got a remote location with 2 WAN links into the router and needs the dynamic nature to make sure the redundant setup works.

I problerbly needs to create some route map or some access lists or what?

Cheers, Lars Christensen

PS: Does this make sense... :)

1 Reply 1

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

My perception about Stub routing in EIGRP was that this feature was introduced to reduce the number of queries send by the distribution router to the remote site routers (if in a wan topology), even though there is no possible route through the remote site router. Once you enable stub routing on all remote sites, the distribution router will not send any query to the remote site.

You will still need to filter routes to the remote sites if you want to conserve bandwidth and memory consumed by each remote site. You will also need to inject a default route to the remote site. To do this you can use two methods.

a. ip default-network command

b. Use a route-map/distribute-list in combination with a prefix-list or access-list.

For ex:

## default route in distribution router

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 fa0/0

##router eigrp 100

redistribute static route-map Test

route-map Test permit 10

match ip address 1

access-list 1 permit host 0.0.0.0

Hope that helps!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW