cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Error disable conditions - UDLD

tahiruddin
Level 1
Level 1

I see large amounts of broadcasts on one of our 6500 VLANs. I suspect that the broadcasts that the MSFC/Sup2 needs to process is resulting in UDLDs to other connected links off of this core 6500 to go into error disable. The 6500 ports themselves go not-connect. Anyone seen this, does this seem logical.?

3 Replies 3

Hello,

can you turn off UDLD on one of the affected ports ? Which switches do you have connected ? You could configure the ´errdisable detect cause udld´ global command, but I think it only works on 2900 and 3500XL switches.

Can you find the source of the broadcasts ?

Regards,

Georg

Hi George -

We have been trying to find the source of the broadcast. More importantly, I wanted to find out if high levels of broadcast on an MSFC of Sup would cause the 6500 to drop UDLD messages.

Tahir

Hello Tahir,

I guess if the broadcasts consume so much bandwidth that the periodically transmitted UDLD packets which the 6509 sends out are not received, the link will be flagged as unidirectional and will be shut down. Can you debug and find out if UDLD packets are transmitted at all on the respective links ? Unfortunately I do not know which port UDLD uses...

Regards,

Georg

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card