Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

home routers on our network

im sorry to link you to something right off the bat, but it is a long subject and has been an ongoing issue and i cant type it again. if anyone can help, it would be appreciated.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?threadid=352315&goto=newpost

this problem didnt start till we switched from ATM/IMA connection for backbone, to a DS3 connection. it isnt the Cisco router, persay, but could be a configuration that i am not able to figure out.

16 Replies 16

ok... here is what i ran into today. like i said, we have one vlan per dlc so that there is a different ip range per unit. One is called RDT1, one is RDT2 and one is the CDT. RDT1 is on VLAN1 in the equipment provisioning, RDT2 is VLAN2, and the CDT is VLAN3, each with a corrisponding ip range. now, i can provision the dsl to use vlan 1,2,or 3 from anywhere, and get the ip range of that provisioning, but we just default use 1,2, and the in the corrisponding units. anyway, my house comes out of rdt2 and is on vlan 2.. and the routers work at my house. but if i take it back to the cdt, vlan 3, it doesnt get an ip. so, i tried provisioning that connection in the cdt to use vlan 2, the same vlan that is at my house, and the dlink got an ip address. now, here is where it gets alittle weird. i started noticing that my laptop, slackware linux, would get an ip address, from the Cisco, within like 2 seconds-- but my friends dell laptop with gentoo would take close to 40 seconds. so we started looking into hardware. my laptop has a realtek card, his is a broadcom b44 ethernet card. the broadcom card is a wierd card. so i started digging in alittle more. netgear equipment, like switches and routers, usually use realtek hardware.. but the dlink in our office uses some off the wall adapter, cant remember what though. but my dlink at my house had a different card, and when we took it to the office and put it on the same connection that didnt work on the other dlink (we'll call it Dlink a, and my dlink will be Dlink b) and it worked. it is really weird but seems to be somehow related to the ethernet hardware, and the vlan. this doesnt make much since to me, but we tested it several times, with several systems. some hardware gets the ip quickly, even on vlan 3, and some doesnt, even on vlan 2. Anybody have any insight into this? i will be messing with it some more tomarrow and tomarrow i will hopefully be able to post the sh run for you also.

sorry guys, no go today. had to work on other stuff. there are only 2 techs at my company and it is raining, and some of our cable is about 40 years old. i did notice, however, that when i looked into the statistics of the gigE card, it is dropping about 6500 inbound packets. dont know y. well, i say dropping, when i had checked, it took a snapshot to show me and there was about 6500 dropped inbound packets. inbound in relative to the gigE card is packets from the Cisco, well, the netgear switch, but ultimately the Cisco.