cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to config the vlan routing between products from different vendors

yongjunh
Level 1
Level 1

In my network there were two 3 layer vlan routing switch (3550-48emi and intel 550t) and three intel 510t and one 2924 layer 2 switches, because 550t has limited layer three function ,so I want to config 3550 as the single layer 3 routing device , I config a 4 port 8021q trunk between 3550 and inter switch stack, and one 4 port trunk to 2924 , but the intel stack can work with 3550 vlan routing ,the another part between 2924 working correctly.

1) i setup a single vtp domain to change vlan informations between the switchs, 3550 as the vtp domain server ,others as vtp client mode to receives vlan imformations from 3550, Does this type setup can take effect?

2) would you tell me vtp can change informations between different vendor's products

3)whether the network can working correctly?

if if can be setup as the this , where my problem could be?

thanks

stone

1 Reply 1

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

1) it's a good idea to have at least two VTP servers (primary and backup) in your network.

2) VTP will not work with Intel, it's a Cisco proprietary protocol.

3) I'd also be careful with "4 port 8021q trunk between 3550 and inter switch stack". If I understand corectly you are trying to connect Cisco 3550 with Intel stack via 4-port (EtherChannel) trunk. There might be a problem caused by different vendor PaGP/LACP impletation.

802.1q itself is another problem: some vendors don't implement native (untagged) VLAN.

Regards,

Milan

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card