Views
Helpful
Replies

Injecting a default route from BGP to EIGRP

daniel.bowen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I have two routers running EBGP and I want to inject a default route from one to another.

I have read that the correct way to do this is 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 (interface that the static route is on)

Trouble is, there is no static route from the router advertising the default route to the Internet. The router advertising the default route knows about the default route to the Internet via EIGRP (not a static route)

Any ideas on how to do this?

best regards,

Daniel,

4 Replies 4

moorj
Level 1
Level 1

Daniel, not sure I have fully understood you problem but to advertise the default route to your EBGP peer you must enure that the default route is in the IGP. Make sure that in the BGP process you have added the 'network 0.0.0.0' statement.

Or you can originate the default to you EBGP peer using the default-orignate command on the end of your bgp neighbor statement e.g 'neighbor 10.10.10.8 default-originate' This way you do not need the default route prefix in the IGP of the advertising peer.

Apologies if I have missunderstood what you are trying to achieve.

I am trying to get my EBGP peer to advertise a default route to my IGP. I have four EBGP peers (RT1, RT2, RT3 and RT4). RT1 and R2 have a peering, and RT3 and RT4 have a peering. I want RT1 to advertise a default route to RT2 (which also has EIGRP configured), plus I want RT3 to advertise a default route to RT4 (which also has EIGRP configured). That way, all EIGRP routers will know how to get out of their AS.

Thanks for your reply

Daniel,

Daniel, you could redistribute BGP into EIGRP with a route-map permitting only the default route. On your EBGP peers the default route will be learnt via EBGP (as long as next hop reachability etc) admin distance 20 (better than eigrp external 170) but you should still see the default route in the eigrp topology database in the event of a bgp peer failure.

On you non-BGP routers you should see the default route via eigrp external.

Example config of the BGP into EIGRP redistribution

router eigrp 1

redistribute bgp 65000 metric 10000 1000 255 1 1500 route-map default-only

network 20.0.0.0

auto-summary

no eigrp log-neighbor-changes

ip access-list standard default-only-list

permit 0.0.0.0

route-map default-only permit 10

match ip address default-only-list

Brilliant, thanks very much !

Daniel,