Views
Helpful
Replies

Inverse Muxing or boding on PA-MC-E3

c-rai
Level 1
Level 1

I have three long distance circuit

1) 12 Mb, 2) 4.5 Mb, 3) 6 Mb terminating on external mux provided by my telecom service provider at my central site.

This Mux provides CE3 as output.

Now if Iwant to terminate the mux output on my Cisco 72004 VXR router and I decide to use MC-E3 PA, I need to group (bond)couples of E1 as per the bandwidth requirement stated above for each destination and map the grouped E1 timeslot with the each destination circuit timeslot provided by the Mux.

But the issue is, PA-MC-E3 do not support Bonding of E1s or grouping of E1s the way we group multiple timeslot in single E1s, NOW how do I acheive my desired configuration ???

Some one told me to use Channelaized STM1 PA which allows bonding of E1s....... is it true ???? I did not get the clearity thru the DOC.

But STM1 card is very costly and may be overkell for this small requirement.

Doc says you can echeive the same functionality thru MLPPP, but I am doubt full if this is an effecient options as ML PPP comes with other issues also.

PL HELP AS I NEED TO SUBMIT THE DESIGN TO MY CUSTOMER SOON.

Thnx in advance.

Chandu

3 Replies 3

jhalldn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Chandu!

Here are some of me thought....

1)

With PA-E3 you can tweak the DSU bandwidth from 34 downto ~19,2kbps i think). But this demands the same PA-E3 on both sides and a E3 connection between. Hence, your ISP gives you a E3 output, but you set the interface on used bandwitdh for the sites and pay for that used bandwidth. This is upto the ISP and a contract. Easy to upgrade your needs.

2)

You could get som own muxes (from rad.com or larscom.com) to mux each site and get an E3 on your side. On E3 for each site.

3)

Move the transmission side in your router with for ex. STM-1 channelized adapter. This will handle upto 63 E1:s. Check:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/core/cis7505/portadpt/multi_ch/pa_mcstm/2746cnf.htm. Then you probably will use MLPPP to aggregate the bandwidth. E3 is not supported in this adapter. The ISP must give you a STM-1 connection and SDH with slots.

4)

Use ML PPP and get PA-MCX-8E1/T1 cards and aggregate. Some CPU and memory issues can apppear with this solution.

I would initaly go with the 1) solution and talk to my ISP. If they are willing to help you with this soultion,it is must flexibel.

Thnx for reply.

With your option 1), It means that I need to buy three E3 interfaces physically seperate. Iam also not sure if my SP will provide me a mux with that many interface of E3, and for bandwidth termination of such small units such as 12Mb, 4.5 Mb and 6 Mb, does it make sense to invest in full E3 interface x3 !!

In that case I should ask mu SP to give me E2 interface x 3, is'nt it ? That will be cheaper than three interface of CE3.

My SP provides G.703 based CE2interface but there is no such interface with Cisco. if Iam right ??

Pl. give futher thought on this.

Regards

chandu

Hi again!

If it make sense or not, depends some of what your planning for the future.

I havent seen an E2 card/adapter and i dont think Cisco supports that.

But if you run a STM-1 card, it probably can handle tributarries of E2:s.

Sorry, i forgot the PA-MC-E3 card that handles your demands. With the multichannel card, you can handle 16 E1 with a E3 interface. This would solve your stuff. Read more:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1820/products_feature_guide09186a00800f4920.html