cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS Suggestions and help needed

declang
Level 1
Level 1

i want options as to what IOS i should upgrade to there is a total of about 150 routers and 100 switches.

The Core is built with 7200's that are running enterprise 122-12a ... these routers have enough memory to upgrade to either 12.2.17a or 12.3.1a

The bulk of the images on the distribution network (3660 and 2600) are 12.1T with either enterprise or Telco feature set ... most have sufficient memory to upgrade to 12.2 or 12.3

Looking thru CCO the 12.1T IOS is to upgrade to a special request image 12.1(5)T15.

Questions:

Should the 3600 and 2600 be updated to 12.1(5)T15 , 12.2.17a or 12.3.1a ? ... I've compared images using CCO, and the features that are in 12.1T are also in the above newer images, except for a few that they don't use ... I was thinking of suggesting Telco plus feature/enterprise 12.2.17a, any thoughts ?

For the Core 7200's I was thinking of upgrading the 12.2.12a to enterprise 12.2.17a ... again any thoughts on this ?

Obviously the 12.3 is too new and not been tested thoroughly ... is the safer option to go with 12.2.17a across the board ... because the 3600 and 2600 were running a 12.1T image should I stick with the a 12.2T stream ?

The bulk of the modules on the kit are standard ATM, serial and PRI cards ... I've made a best effort to compare the IOS's but I can't be 100% sure that nothing will go wrong after an IOS upgrade .... at this stage i only want recommendations of what IOS levels i should move too .... I've suggested the Cisco ACL's until my management have time to decide what they want to do .... but because of the high impact of this network and if a router crashes due to the new images I obviously need to cover myself.

3 Replies 3

deilert
Level 6
Level 6

Why are you upgrading ? are you hitting a bug that is affecting your routers ? If all is running fine I would not recommed upgrading unless you need a feature that is not in the code you are running or you are hitting a bug that is affecting a large majority of your boxes ,

If it ain't broke don't fix it ! you may be opening a new can of worms .

hi ,

I agree totally but i've been asked to do an audit on kit , and the company in question are parnoid about cisco press release on Dos on ipv4 . So a full audit has been order with recommendation for an upgrade path to be the result.

In that case I think that 12.2(17) is a GD candidate , I would contact TAC and find out if it is still going GD if it is when then follow that path.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card