cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is 2610 Router Capable??

terribletds
Level 1
Level 1

I have CISCO 2610 with WIC T1 and the 1 Fast Ethernet port that is part of the 2610 router and I have add 32 MB of RAM for a total of 64 MB RAM. Think I update the IOS to 12.1T, I would have to check to make sure.

What I want to do is have two local LANs so I would purchase a Cisco NM-1E. One for the 16 IP Addresses I was assigned for my T1 (13 usable addresses) and another for a LAN with 30 to 40 computers connected to it. Each of the two router's Ethernet ports would be connected to a 24 port 10/100 Intel T460 Managed Switch. One switch handles the 13 assigned ip address and the other switch would have 5 - 8 port 10/100 switches connected (with only 6 ports be used on each) and 6-8 computers directly connected. Do you feel the 2610 is capable of handling this type of configuration. I was told the 2610 router wasn't capable of handling the traffic of the two LANs. What do you think?? Should I spend the money to buy the NM-1E and try it. Right now I have a cheap Linksys cable router handling th 30-40 side of the LAN. If you get a bunch of people on the LAN at one time the Linksys router starts slowing down and then locks up. I would like to replace the Linksys DSL/Cable router with the NM-1E module. Please advise only if you know the capabilities of the 2610 router.

Or do I even need a NM-1E? Do I just need to configure the two interfaces I have now (FAST 0/0 and SERIAL 0/0) to do what I need. Thanks for your time!!!!!!!

4 Replies 4

Ladislaus
Level 1
Level 1

The 2610 can do VLANs.. so you only need the one interface you only got..

though it is only 10Mbit and as such, it will be quite slow between the two LANs, the 2600 will however manage it quite nicely.

Would adding the second ethernet port speed things up or am I still limited by the router capabilities?

Hi

I'm only speculating here as i dont have all the info, but i think what you might mean by the (2610) not being able to handle multiple LAN's is the "trunk tag" for interVlan routing, InterVlan routing is usually only supported on FastEthernet interfaces, your 2610 does NOT have fastethernet, only a 10MB port, to get 100MB you'll need a 2620 router. That being said, there are certain revisions of the 2610 routers that do support interVlan routing. i think those models are called 2610-XM or maybe MX, im cant remember for sure!

Then handling I am talking about means the traffic through the router. If there are 30 to 40 computer all surfing the internet at the same time and doing other online stuff and some playing games will the router be able to handle all the routing that is going on.