Views
Helpful
Replies

ISDN Call Lenth

1drowley
Level 1
Level 1

All,

I need to limit the ammount of time a ISDN call stays up. Ideally I want the router to drop the line after 59 Minutes of activity, even if the link is still being used, however I don't mind if the router then brings the line up immeidatally afterwards.

Thanks!

David Rowley

du Pré plc

6 Replies 6

deilert
Level 6
Level 6

dialer idle-timeout #of seconds for 59 minutes 3540

This will drop the line after 59 minutes of INactivity, but the question was how to drop the connection 59 minutes after call setup, regardless of activity.

I don't see a way to do this properly.

You could classify all traffic as uninteresting, except icmp to a certain address. Then define the idle-timeout as suggested. The connection will drop after 59 minutes since there is no interesting traffic. But you'll need to ping the certain address to re-open the connection, and the connection will stay open for 59 minutes even if there is no traffic, so this may not be what you want.

regards,

Herbert

Hi,

That is pretty mutch what we are thinking, that would work fine for one machine on the LAN, however add more and if one will use ICMP after the initial ICMP request this will re-set the idle timeout value, then not dropping the line after 59 Min - doh!

Thanks for your help

David.

Thanks for that, However that will only drop the line if it is idle for 59 Minutes yes, I need it to forcibly drop the line even if it is in use after 59 minutes.

Hi,

If you want to be a little automatic process, use SNMP to get a trap when BRI channel is UP and using a script, after 59min, send shutdown command for that particular bri i/f.

Ashok.

With best regards...
Ashok

Again a good solution, however we have roaming laptops connecting to the LAN & unfortunataley all this needs to be self contained within the router. We have just found the Timeout Absouloute command, applied it to the BRI interface and then the Dialer interface when it did not work but no joy :(

Any more ideas?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card