cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Issue with online gaming?

keeksalot
Level 1
Level 1

While not the administrator of a network employing Cisco hardware, I am currently a victim.

Ever since my university has switched to Cisco switches (routers?) for all living facilities, many popular games such as Counter-Strike and Battlefield 2 have ceased to work.

No queries of servers even make it through. This is from steampowered.com (Steam is the application through which Counter-Strike is updated):

"The next biggest possible cause is that you are running "Deterministic Network Enhancer" which is used with Cisco and a few other VPN applications."

Does anyone know of any firmware upgrades or software upgrades that fix this issue? That website offers no solutions, it just identifies a problem. I'd like to help my net admin out because he seems to be completely lost.

1 Reply 1

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Do you know anyone that's gotten through?

There's (at least) a chance that the network is being filtered. If that's the case, you're not going to get through.

Deterministic Network Enhancer is used by Cisco VPN, but it's not likely that the University is tunneling out to the ISP through VPN, or using DNE: DNE is usually a client-side thing.

Your *BEST* shot is to talk with the networking people, explain the issue, and see if you can get them to open things up for you, possibly on some schedule (when the University bandwidth usage is in a more "recreational" mode (i.e., fewer people trying to use the system for actual study or work).

Otherwise, I believe you are hosed.

Good Luck

Scott

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card