cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LAn Set-up

r.pegues
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have a Catalyst 1900 and Cisco 4000 router (ver 10.3)

2 pc's to connect to the internet. This set up is for studying purposes for CCNP.

I have connected all the pc's and the cable modem to the switch and connected the switch to the router. However I can only see the internet on one pc. and it is using the ISP addresses and not the ones I assign. I can ping the other pc and see packets going out and only a few being receive.

I am using the 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.06. My question is why can't the other pc see the internet and should I be allowing the pc's to use the ISP DHCP server or provide one. WHat should the addressing scheme be to allow access. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG.

3 Replies 3

jfraasch
Level 3
Level 3

It would be helpful if you could post the config of the router and maybe the switch.

Also, do a winipcfg (if win98) on the PCs and be sure they are the ip addresses you think they are.

Unless you have business service from your ISP, they typically only give out one address unless you specifically ask.

Actually, now that I am thinking about the setup, it might make more sense to hook your cable modem directly into an ethernet port on your router. Assign that port on your router to the ISP address and then hook up the second ethernet port to the switch and the two PCs downstream. That way you would be truly routing your internal traffic to the ISP. Give the PCs some private addresses and then NAT them onto the ISP network. If this is a CCNP lab, that would be the best way to learn a few new things.

Let me know if that setup works for you. If you have only one ethernet port on the 4000 the of course this wouldnt work.

Because I am running IOS Version 10.3 it doesn't support NAT. How can I get a copy of the upgraded software? Otherwise what are my alternatives?

To efficiently set up the lab I really need to upgrade this software no doubt

this will cause more problems if I don't. Cisco doesn't support the 4000 anymore.

sguntupa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

test ....please ignore