cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Load share and fail over with 2 ADSL Connections

CSCO10692883
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. I have 2 ADSL lines with differnt service providers that I want to load share across. If one of the ADSL links goes down, I want the other to take the full load.I have cisco 837 configured on each of the ADSL links and a cisco 2621 doing the load share. I am using RIP with redistributed static routes and the ip route-cache to perform per session load sharing. The load share part seems fine since the 2621 has both default routes in the routing table and is splitting traffic between the two. However, if I disconnect one of the ADSL lines, the 837 router does not drop its static route "ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 dialer1" since the dialler interface does not show as down. Its the ATM0 interface that goes down. How can i get the 837 to remove its default route if the line goes down so it propogates the failure to the cisco 2621?

2 Replies 2

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

What you want to achieve is not possible with different providers. The only way to share load and failover is when the provider also assists in this setup.

The reason it does not work is, that you will always keep two default routes, no matter what happens.

Regards,

Leo

Is it not possible to direct the default route to the service providers DSLAM IP address :

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 212.x.x.x. This would cause the router to remove the static route if it could not get to destination.