cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Loadbalancing Radius

steve.ashdown
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to know if there is any way the localdirector 430 can detect if a real server running radius fails to repsond to a radius request. I have seen that with the latest software, there is a dns and http probe. IS there the equiv for Radius?

This question is key to whether or not we stay with Cisco rather than another product that we know will perform the function. We would rather stay with Cisco for supportability.

3 Replies 3

gajohnst
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Steve,

The Local Director is limit on checking health of servers without an external device. The Cisco Content Service Switch CSS 11000 has a rich set of features on checking health of servers. Checking the health of a Radius server would be no problem. Note: the CSS 11000 also support custom scripting for health checks.

murabi
Level 4
Level 4

LocalDirector can send a keepalive to the appropriate UDP ports that RADIUS listens on such as UDP 1645/1646 or UDP 1812/1813. We set this up to verify the server is up and the port is open.

It's wrong. I was tricked on it. LD never send any keepalive packet(such as ICMP) to UDP port.I have a client bought a LD, and it doesn;t work with UDP service. When a server is down, the LD doesn't know it, and continue to send traffic to that box. I have to return it ,and buy CONTENT SERVICE SWITCH to replace it.