Views
Helpful
Replies

logging shows an asterisk "*Jan 13 11:05:40: ...."

christina_neo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Wonder if anyone has encountered an asterisk (*) when you do a "show logging" command on the switch.

e.g.

*Jan 13 11:05:40: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/26, changed state to down

Please advise what does it mean?

Thanks

Christina

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Christina,

"*" symbol means time is not authoritative: the software clock is not in sync or has never been set.

If you see symbol "." this means time is authoritative, but NTP is not synchronized: the software clock was in sync, but has since lost contact with all configured NTP servers

and if you do not see any symbol this means time is authoritative: the software clock is in sync or has just been set manually

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Christina,

"*" symbol means time is not authoritative: the software clock is not in sync or has never been set.

If you see symbol "." this means time is authoritative, but NTP is not synchronized: the software clock was in sync, but has since lost contact with all configured NTP servers

and if you do not see any symbol this means time is authoritative: the software clock is in sync or has just been set manually

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

Thank you guys for sharing the knowledge this question haunt me for months now. Thank you Tim for passed onto me.

It helped a lot, but does anyone know where's the reference on this? I could not find the page:(

Thank you,

Katsu