cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

management of network ports

dmalamba
Level 1
Level 1

I have a cisco 2611 router which i want to use both of its ethernet ports to be conected to same LAN i.e switch. The moment i configure the ports to be in the same network i.e having similar ip addresses e.g 192.168.100.207 and 192.168.100.208 i am receiving an error that there is an overlap. What do i do to resolve this. What if i connect another router to the same switch would their be a conflict as well. I want to do that inorder that i reduce load on one ethernet port which is my gate way to about 16 remote sites and the internet

3 Replies 3

galaer
Level 1
Level 1

you cannot set two layer3 ports in one subnet, except using bridge. if u use another router,its ok.

if you want reduce load, i think the bottleneck is not on ethernet port, but the cpu. the forward rate of 2611 is just <20kpps.

aashish.c
Level 4
Level 4

hi,

on any router u cant put 2 ports in same subnet, whether you use 2611 or any other router.

u can try making etherchannel between router and switch, if it is supported on your router.This way you can load balance the links.

regards

aashish C

jkittle99
Level 4
Level 4

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I want to do something very similar - I have cisco 3600/3700 series routers which have dual ethernet ports - I want to have both connected to separate blades in the same switch, so I have redundant connections. I've heard that the 3745 will support etherchannel on the interfaces, but I've been at it a few hours now and haven't been able to make this work. Another thought I had was to run EIGRP on the inside, and use it to load balance between both links to a loopback address - haven't fully tested this yet. I don't see why a 2611 couldn't use both ethernets on the same subnet - EIGRP should facililtage for load balancing across the links. I haven't tested this though on that platform.