cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitoring Port

t-king
Level 1
Level 1

We plan to use a network monitoring tool to monitor packets on a 5505 catalyst switch. Somebody told me that I need to configure a port as a monitoring port and another port as a monitored port. How do I do this? is there any documentation that you can recommend for further reading. it will be use to monitor traffic activity from one PC to a server. Appreciate your help on this issue.

3 Replies 3

sstudsdahl
Level 4
Level 4

The command that you are looking for is "set span". If you issue the ? after it you will see the options available with it. Basically, you will want to define the source switchport(s) that you want to monitor and then specify the destination switchport where your monitoring tool will be connected. Also, if you are monitoring bi-directional traffic, don't forget to use the keyword "both" so that you see traffic sent and received on the port your are monitoring.

thanks for the quick response. When I did the command you suggested, I can' t ping the destination port. It seems like the destination port is disable because I can't ping anything from the PC where I have my monitoring tool installed (the pc is connected on the destination port). When I disable "set span", I could do the above. any suggestion?

In order to ping the device attached to the destination port you also need to include "inpkts enable" in your span definition. This allows the span destination port to be able to receive traffic from the device attached to the port instead of just being able to send traffic to it.