cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NAT OVERLOAD WITH NAT .. PLEASE I NEED HELP

Yaniv_Saga
Level 1
Level 1

NAT Overload works when its translate the source ip to the "legal address" and also translate the source port to a unique source port.

ICMP dosent works with ports (as long as i know) how a network device can send icmp packets and recive them while paritcepating in nat overload.. ?

2 Replies 2

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

If you look at sh ip nat translation icmp command, you can see the inside global, inside local, outside local/global addresses are mapped on the table using a single port address. So when the packet returns from a particular host, the router will translate the destination address back to the right source address.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

thanks i have another question

each entry in the icmp nat translation using a single port address . Are There any chances that another host will pick the same port causing the router change it to another port..

because i looked at the doucment :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_tech_note09186a0080093f96.shtml

and i save that each translate connection has a same port ..

my quesion is if another PC sends ping packets and he uses the same port like another PC that allready has a translation entry.. lets assumpe thaht the destination IP is the same.. what wiil happen in this case..

thanks a lot

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card