Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help in increasing CPU utilization for Cisco Switch

mahazz12
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a cisco switch (Cisco Catalyst C9300) and want to increase CPU utilization of the switch. I am passing lots of different types and heavy traffic on the switch through TRex, but the CPU utilization is stuck on 1%. No matter how much I try, the CPU utilization is not increasing.

I also tried disabling STP which increased CPU utilization to about 40%, but every time it resulted in losing my SNMP connection to which my monitoring tool and switch were connected, hence I am unable to further monitor the switch (for throughput etc).

I am new to networking and want to conduct experiments, so I want that the CPU utilization 0%, 50% and 100% (or you can say variations in CPU utilizations up to MAX) in order to carry out the tests. Can someone please help me out with how do I increase the CPU utilization? 

TIA.

30 Replies 30

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

BTW, just recalled you might be able, easily and precisely, cause switch's CPU to run at different load percentages using scripting. Use a NO-OP loop.

Again, not knowing how switch prioritizes script execution, don't know impact when you push to 100% usage.