Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Not Found

jp0801
Level 1
Level 1

Error Network not Found.

Nt4 workstation cannot map an I/P drive map to an NT4.0 Server. The connection is a dedicted circuits between Router A and Router B. I can ping this device. Netbouy is loaded on w/s and server. But everytime I try to map a drive to this server I get Network Not Found. Can this be a router related problem? Seems this problem started when we put ACL's to deny ICMP for the Microsoft virus. All ACL's have been removed since then.

Thanks In Advance!!!!

4 Replies 4

jmia
Level 7
Level 7

Hi -

If the service was working fine before the ACL then it possible that the ACL is the problem, can you post your ACL - Thanks, Jay

jamey
Level 4
Level 4

You shouldn't need NETBEUI if you have TCP/IP connectivity between the server and client unless there is some other need for it. NETBEUI won't get transmitted by the routers.

If you can ping the server from the client but you cannot do an IP drive map, like net use k: \\192.168.1.1\share, that sounds like either an ACL issue or a windows issue. If you have removed all ACLs, try mapping a driver to the NT server *from* the NT server, to make sure the Server service is ok.

I would bounce the NT server and/or NT workstation also.

Some other info:

A nice paper on Windows Networking by Cisco:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk870/tk877/tk880/technologies_tech_note09186a00801aa01f.shtml#nameresolution

Also you can use the Cisco command "ip forward-protocol" to forward broadcasts not normally forwarded by routers:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008007cdf0.html#xtocid297558

We can map from NT Server to NT Server across the network, but we cannot map an I/P Drive from any workstations locally or remotely.

What do you mean when you say, "I/P Drive"?

Does that mean mapping a drive like:

net use k: \\192.168.1.1\share

?

Can you map drives NT Server to NT Server by NETBIOS name, e.g. net use k: \\ntserver1\share

?

It sounds like you have either a name-resolution issue or perhaps a Windows domain issue.

Verify your name resolution is working from the NT Workstations to the NT servers. You should have WINS setup if you are in an NT 4 network and are going across routers.

1. Enables WINS on one of your Windows NT Servers.

2. On the server from #1 above, under TCP/IP settings, enter the local server's IP address under WINS Servers. (Point it to itself)

3. On the Windows NT Workstations, under TCP/IP settings, enter the WINS server IP address.

4. Reboot the Server and NT workstation so they can register with the WINS server.

If that doesn't work, you may have domain type issue. Remove the NT Workstation from the domain, reboot it, then add it back to the domain.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card