cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Networking performance General Question

ReedWalter
Level 1
Level 1

This question may or may not be addressable, but right now I am looking at a couple things. We have a multibuilding LRE setup between 3 buildings. We have at each site a CISCO C3550 switch that is setup with a VLAN that connects up to a LRE 575 box. From here it bridges over to a central Cisco C3550 switch then out to the other 2 buildings.

If you understand this setup so far good, but the main issue I am seeing is that the speeds are different from one location going to the other in one direction..... what I mean by this is that from Building 1 going to building 2 is slower then the speed going from Building 2 to Building 1. My first and initial thought was a duplex issue, but after checking the configuration on all the devices this should not be an issue. All the components are set to Full Duplex. I can say the same when I go from Building 1 to Building 3, but not nearly as drastic. Basically the speed here is close to the same but yet it is still faster going from either Building 2 or 3 back to Building 1. But the speed going from Building 1 to Buildings 2 or 3 is slower.

Here is an example of a log I took this afternoon

Building 1 to Building 2 Avg of 20 attempts - 2.225mbps

Building 2 to Building 1 Avg of 20 - 5.234 MBPS

Building 1 to Building 3 Avg of 20 - 3.348 MBPS

Building 3 to Buidling 1 Avg of 20 - 5.322 MBPS

Looking at this makes me think something with the cable but I wanted to send a post out just to see if anyone else would have any ideas or responses.

If You need more info please post and I am sure i can get it.

Thanks for any and all help

Reed Walter

1 Reply 1

vkapoor5
Level 5
Level 5

I think that you gave the data from "sh int" statistics which is not the actual speed of the link. It's the utilization rate in particular direction. So, if you want to confirm, use any packet generator softwares and send to fill up the traffic of that actual speed.