cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus switch network design to handle 40Gbps data traffic

satish.txt1
Level 1
Level 1

We have customer which has 40Gbps (or close to 60Gbps in future) requirement for data transfer, I am looking for good and cheaper solution to handle 40Gbps. I am thinking to put 5548P nexus switch at core and N3K at access layer so my network design would be like following diagram, Manay folks suggesting i shouldn't use 5500 series switch for core because they can't handle 40Gbps because they meant for FCoE, question is can i use Nexus 3064QP  (Layer 3 HSRP) switch for core to handle 40Gbps traffic?

Can i use ACL (access-list) on N3K to handle 40G traffic?  Obvious 3064QP doesn't have 40G but i am planning to do 4x10G bonding on switch

What you guys suggest?

My network design: 

Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 4.24.29 PM.png

5 Replies 5

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi 

Nexus 3064PQ is end of sale. 

With Nexus 5548UP, you only have 10G port except if you buy an expansion module that can offer 40G ports. 

However, Nexus 5548UP without expansion module to get 40G ports is more expensive (few thousand $) than Catalyst 9500 which offers 24 ports 40G or 10G with QSA adapter.

Personally, i would prefer Catalyst family for core routing and have more features in terms of enterprise class (HQOS is one example).

With Catalyst 9500, you can use them as standard design or even in ACI design.

These new switches are coming with a DNA subscription which brings interesting features: 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/enterprise-networks/index.html#~stickynav=2

Except 40G needs, what are the other requirements?

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

This is short term customer will last for 1 year or 2 year max, so i am not looking for something which give me 10 year cisco support and i end up paying lots of money. This is going to be very simple network to just host application for public access, its kind of media mixing application and that is why bandwidth requirement is high. 

Laster talk to ISP and they said they will provide 4x10G bonded fiber link because they don't have single 40G fiber port. 

I have following option for core layer switch:

1. 3064PQ  because of low latency and enough 10G and 40G ports.

2. 5548UP  ( i am planning to stay away from this switch)

3. 9369 ( It has 10G and 40G ports) much powerful than 3064PQ

I am planning to use QSFP+ breakout cable for 4x10G bonding to support 40G. 

Now question is when switch specs say 1.2 Tbps flow support does that means L3 traffic or just L2 traffic?  

Hi

Ok gotcha. Personally I'd go with Nexus 9k.
I don't know this particular model but N9K are L2 and L3 noon blocking 10G and 40G ports with a high internal bandwidth.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Last question, 

do we need basic L3 license to run HSRP on Nexus 9396PX switch? 

Hi
Hsrp is included in base license:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/nx-os/licensing/guide/b_Cisco_NX-OS_Licensing_Guide/b_Cisco_NX-OS_Licensing_Guide_chapter_01.pdf

Thanks
Francesco