cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

No signal at pulse-per-second (PPS) output (PTP CLK connector)

cgk294785
Level 1
Level 1

The Cisco Nexus 3548x data sheet at

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/nexus-3548-switch/data_sheet_c78-707001.html

describes a "IEEE 1588 PTP with pulse-per-second (PPS) output" feature, stating "Network administrators deploying IEEE 1588 PTP often find it challenging to measure the accuracy to which each device is synchronized. To assist in this effort, the Cisco Nexus 3500 platform includes a 1‑PPS output port that can be used to measure timing drift from the grandmaster clock."

On the front panel of the 3548x is a coaxial mini DIN connector labeled PTP CLK.  My understanding is that this is the 1-PPS output port referenced in the data sheet.

I have configured the network switch to enable PTP, have connected a PTP grandmaster, etc. and am attempting to observe the signal output by the PTP CLK connector using an oscilloscope.  I am not observing any pulses being output by this connector.

How do I enable this PTP CLK connector?

1 Reply 1

cgk294785
Level 1
Level 1

After discussing this issue with a Cisco TAC engineer, I learned that while this PTP CLK connector is present on Cisco 3548P-10G, 3548-X, and C3164Q-40GE (front panel names), there is no software support for this connector at this time.  There is also no time frame for Cisco to support this PTP CLK connector.