Views
Helpful
Replies

Odd behavior for 2948G-L2 switch

mitchell_kohn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Does anyone ever see their 2948G switch reboot itself for no reason ? It is running version 4.4 (1). There are no errors or anything showing up. It does show: Chassis Temperature: 42 degC (108 degF), which seems kind of hot, but I have no control over that.

Thanks in advance,

Mitch

3 Replies 3

rfroom
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

4.4(1) has numerous software bugs, one of which is reset that appears to happen for no reason. I would strongly recommed upgrade to 4.5.13a or 5.5.15:

"

In some situations, if the switch attempts to clear dynamic CAM table entries when the dynamic entries have not been cleared for an extended period of time (several days to several weeks), the switch resets. Events that cause the switch to clear dynamic CAM entries include:

Entering the clear cam dynamic command

A link-down on a switch port, causing the switch to clear entries learned on that port

This problem is resolved in software release 4.5(2). (CSCdm33046)

I looked at the Bug Toolkit under both Cisco Catalyst 2948G-L2 switch version under all and did not see that. I also looked at Cisco Catalyst 4000 Series LAN switches and did not see that. What bug ID are looking at ?

I did another search for CSCdm33046 and got:

Sorry -- The defect you have requested CSCdm33046 cannot be displayed.

This may be due to one or more of the following:

The defect number does not exist.

The defect does not have a customer-visible description available yet.

The defect has been marked Cisco Confidential.

Thanks,

Mitch

It is in the release-notes for 4.5.x software:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat4000/relnotes/78_6301.htm

It is not the bug toolkit because, for some reason, the bug does not have a customer-visible descriptionl

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card