cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF and Default routes

MarkHood
Level 1
Level 1

I've just inheratited a new OSPF network, although there seems to be some strange errors

Originally there was no default route, I've setup static routes on the all routers pointing to router in building A, which in turn has its default set to our firewall.

Building A works fine, everyone can ping all sites and access the net without any problems

All the other sites are able to ping all sites but not able to surf.

I've tried a trace and it seems as the external port of the router in Building A is dropping the traffic but I can't see why.

No access lists on any routers

1 Reply 1

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Your firewall needs to know the networks behind each remote building. This can be done by adding static routes pointing to router A in the firewall. If its a PIX firewall (some linux firewalls do support routing protocols), you can run OSPF on the PIX so that the PIX knows about these networks. IF your firewall does not support routing protocols such as OSPF, you can configure static routes as told above.

Also if your firewall is doing NAT, you will need to allow all networks in building A as well as all remote buildings to get through NAT or PAT.

HTH

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card