Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF Area Summarization

_dansmith_
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Quite possibly a stupid question, so apologies in advance!

My routing tables are quite large and I'm looking to simply summarize them with a statement such as:

area 1 range 10.21.0.0 255.255.0.0

All I want to get clarity on is; will this affect any traffic if I summarize?  I have a lot of established tunnels and data going in all directions and getting downtime is next to impossible as the argument will be "If it isn't broke, why fix it?"  I'm just going on the principle of keeping my routing tables small and tidy.

Thanks,

Dan

2 Replies 2

whiteside998
Level 1
Level 1
No this should not cause any problems, I would be careful using such a broad summarisation unless you actually have all of those routes. You may also want to investigate OSPF stub areas depending on your network design Hopefully this helps

davrojas
Level 3
Level 3

Hello _dansmith_

Instead of : If it isn't broke, why fix it?"    ->  "If it works, can it be improved"  ; )

Agreed with whiteside 998, make sure you know which subnets you are summarizing rather than just doing a B clasful summarization, this way you will have more granular control depending on your network design.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: