cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF route propegation

dfrank
Level 1
Level 1

I am relativley new to OSPF and I have a question regarding Route propegation. If I have the following entry:

router ospf 1

redistribute connected subnets

redistribute static subnets

passive-interface FastEthernet1

network 10.0.250.1 0.0.0.0 area 0.0.0.0

network 192.168.1.100 0.0.0.0 area 0.0.0.0

Is the mask 0.0.0.0 an exact match on the ip address allowing propegation of only that specific ip address? Also, if I wanted to specify the network 192.168.1.0/24 for route distribution, what would be the correct wildcard (mask) for use in this scenario?

Thanks in advance,

DF

2 Replies 2

patoil
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

network 10.0.250.1 0.0.0.0 area 0.0.0.0

defines that any interface matching the above address (0.0.0.0 means "this address") will participate in your ospf process number 1, belonging to area 0.0.0.0.

Once that´s running, your router will exchange route information (description of each known interface, including 10.0.250.1) by Link State Advertisements.

Finally, every router will run SPF algorithm and create/update its own routing table.

Route redistribution is a completely separate chapter. First you have to know thar the redistribution command into ospf configuration will take routes from an external source (another process, routing protocol, or static routes). One way to control routing information learnt via redistribution is by using route maps. You could aldo use distribute lists.

In your config, you are using redist connected command. That inserts all your router interfaces into OSPF as External Type 5 routes. You could also use network x.x.x.x 0.0.0.0 area 0.0.0.0 instead, and your connected x.x.x.x interfaces will be announced as local (Type 1) interfaces.

Never forget the SUBNETS keyword for ospf redistribution.

Check for route-map and distribute-list commands for more information.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Patricio.

So all of this routers interfaces and their coresponding subnets are being distributed as external type 5 routes via the "redist connected command"?

What is the advantage of External type5 routes vs local(type1) interfaces?

Thanks again,

DF

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card