Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF ROUTER-ID PROBLEM

neil.green
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone have any experience of the following problem:

We recently changed the router-id of OSPF router A from x to y.

Router A had 6 neighbours. 3 via ATM point to point links (all in area 0) and 3 via braodcast networks (one of the broadcast links was to close area 0 - Router A was the DR on this link)

We are still seeing router-id x in our OSPF databases but:

a)none of the routers have a route to x in their routing tables;

b)each router in our OSPF doamin keeps learning about routes from x and populating their OSPF databases with the information.

Furthermore none of the routers have x in their OSPF border-router tables.

Note that no other router has a router-id of x in our OSPF domain.

5 Replies 5

deilert
Level 6
Level 6

In order for OSPF to change its RID you must reload the box . Have you reloaded the box ?

A less intrusive way is to do a "no router ospf XXX" in config mode, exit the config mode and do a "config mem" which will have for effect to reinitialize the OSPF precess.

My 2c.

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

clear ip ospf will also do this, with less trouble:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios123/123cgcr/iprrp_r/ip2_c1g.htm#92110

Note that just because you clear the process doesn't mean the LSA's with the old router lsa are going to disappear instantly. It could take until one of the routers in the network ages out the old LSA's, with the old router ID in them, before the old LSA's are actually completely removed from the network.

Russ.W

Sorry Russ.W, I should have mentioned that the router was rebooted after the loopback address had been changed.

As I understand it all the routers in our OSPF domain should have then flushed the old router-id x from their topology tables and re-populated with the new router-id y.

They all now have y in their topology and routing tables but still have x in their topology tables and keep relearning about it and other LSAs from it?

Yes.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card