Views
Helpful
Replies

PBM with conversion from Native IOS to Hybrid on a 6509 Catalyst

bassie_1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm experiencing some difficulties trying to convert my 6509 Catalyst switches from Native IOS to Hybrid.

When following the steps in the "tech notes: Software Conversion from Native IOS to Hybrid on a Catalyst 6000 Switch" the CatOS failes to load, when booting from Rommon.

The following error occurs: ROMMON>loadprog: bad file magic number 0x0

ROMMON>cannot load "slot0:cat6000-sup.6-3-9.bin"

I know that regularly this means that the image I'm trying to use might be corrupted, but I've checked filesize and checksum and they are both ok.

Any ideas, except trying a different image?

Grtz

Bas

2 Replies 2

7rbowenii
Level 3
Level 3

Bas,

It appears as though you might be trying to load CatOS on the layer-3 portion of your switch. WIth Hybrid, there are two different codes to load. L-2 takes the cat6000-sup code while the Layer-3 takes the IOS version of code. The magic number not only specifies that the file may be corrupted, but also that you may have chosen the wrong code for the switch. Let me know if this helps...

-Bo

Bo,

thnx for your reply, but no that's not the problem.

I followed the Cisco walkthrough and tried to load the CatOS software to the supervisor.

But Eureka! We found the solution to our problem.

As it seems the software we were trying to load, wasn't supervisor 1 software (thanks for pointing that out in such a great manner Cisco *NOT!*). So now we've switched to CatOS version 6.4.1 which is SV II compatible and works like a charm.

So problem solved.

Grtz

B

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card