cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Printing problem

john.carter
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2924 segmented into 3 vlans and on one vlan the servers no longer find any printers by IP or through network neighborhood, while the other 2 vlans are unaffected and the servers on all three vlans are humming along just fine

4 Replies 4

dewey78
Level 1
Level 1

In the VLAN that can't print, can you PING the printer? I'm not sure of your background so I want to find out more of how you have things connected.

What changed? If it used to work, what happened that may have changed the connectivity?

Does each VLAN have its own printer?

Do you have a router that allows interVLAN communication and print across VLANs?

I would start with the basics. Start with layer 1 and go on from there. Remember, VLANs prevent communication from one VLAN from affecting the other.

Good Luck,

Dave

I can ping the printers and find them in network neighborhood and print to them through shares, but on all 4 server jetdirect ports do not find the printers during setup. The other vlans have no problems, the printer is on another switch that is providing the building pc's connectivity, the switch in question is a server farm switch so I am limited with how long I can take it down.

the other post is probably on target. check the ip address/subnet mask of the printer. you should be able to ping each device. if the printer is setup to get a dhcp address, check to see if the router that supports the segment is configured with an ip helper. you will need to give a lot more info to the post if you still can't find the problem

paquino
Level 1
Level 1

First off if the serves are working between vlans with no problems then there must be a device routing between the subnets (catalyst xl switch does not support private vlans). Also these printer cards may be netbios compatible so ill treat them like regular windows machine. Given that is the fact the only reason these printers would not register would be if they are each on seperate netbios broadcast domains (each vlan is a broadcast domain). In that case ill assume your using WINS which would explain the servers working fine. The printers will either need to register with WINS or be on the same broadcast domain to inject into the browser lists for NN. You can do this by leaking netbios through the layer 3 device with an ip-helper address statement on the layer 3 interface (router) or getting the printers to register with WINS.

Hope this helps,

Paul Aquino

CSE Cisco Systems