cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Proirity Routing

gpong
Level 1
Level 1

If I want to give priority to a server thats connected to one of the port on a Catalyst 2900 switch, should the configuration be done on the router or on the switch?

Please assist me how it should be done. Thankyou

3 Replies 3

svermill
Level 4
Level 4

I don't have any experience with it myself but I thought of priority queing when I read your posting. I think it only applies to a particular type of traffic (IPX, etc) or an entire router interface. Can't say I've ever heard of anything that you could implement on a switch but if I tell you it can't be done someone else will come along and tell you exactly how to do it. Try searching on CCO for priority queing or priority queue.

MickPhelps
Level 1
Level 1

To the best of my knowledge, you can't do prioritization on a 2900 switch.

On the router, you *could* do priority queuing, but I strongly advise against it.

Priority queuing is not effective for high speed interfaces and could actually do more harm than good.

Are you having output queue drops? If not, priority queuing won't help to begin with.

What is the actual problem?

Mick.

jets
Level 1
Level 1

I believe you can give your server a higher priority at the switch to access the backplane bus.

command? -set port priority (ex. 2/3) high (I think that is the syntac)

note: you may want to turn off (if you have not just yet) "CDP" as well as enable "portfast" for your server connection.

hopefully, this could be of help to you

Regards,

Hector Chaparro

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card