Helpful
Replies

Question on Route-Maps

churchi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

Just got a simple question.

The setup of my network at the moment it I have a 3620 router and behind that is a 3550 switch. On the router I have configured a few sub interfaces on the fa0/0 interface.

Now for the clients that we have on our network they send e-mail through our print server (192.168.2.100). This was just running IIS SMTP for windows. What I would like to do is because we have a few locations near each other, I have setup a central SMTP server and would like to ideally have all the SMTP e-mail from our locations to go to this one host. The new SMTP server is on a public IP address.

Now you could say that I should let everyone know that the SMTP server has changed to a public IP address, but I would like to perform the port forwarding on the routers via a route map if possible (or any better means). This way if there is ever a problem I can remove the route maps and the clients will be able to send e-mail through the old servers.

The print server at the moment is on its own interface fa0/0.998

The Operating system is windows 2000.

There are access lists in place on all the sub interfaces preventing clients from accessing any other networks and providing them only access to the print server.

I was wondering if putting a route map on the sub interface of the print server would be the best to capture the port 25 traffic bound for the ip address of 192.168.2.100, so that I can then set the next hop to send that traffic to.

Any help on this issue would be great.

Thanks,

1 Reply 1

Not saying it cant be done but AFAIK you can only change the next hop IP with a route-map not the destination IP. You may look into destination IP NAT'ing. This may do what you want.