cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

"VLAN Database Mode" to "Config Mode" conversion

jalramahi
Level 1
Level 1

How can we convert an existing VLANs created in "VLAN Database Mode" to "Config mode? what is the right procedure?

3 Replies 3

Hello,

there is no real difference in the syntax used to create VLAN's, wether you use the global configuration or VLAN database mode, other than that extended VLAN's, that is, VLAN's above 1005, need to be created in global mode; also, SVI's need to be created in global mode as well.

So whichever mode you use, the VLAN's created either way should be in your VLAN database.

Does that answer your question ?

Regards,

GP

Hi GP,

See, I have an exiting 6500 switch with VLANS created using VLAN Database Mode. I want to start using the new "config Mode" VLAN instead. In this case should I delete them from VLAN database and create them in Config Mode?...or should I just add the again to the Config Mode?.

The reason I want to use the "Config mode" is because I have now installed a new FWSM on my 6500 switch. The FWSM is not working untill now. Im not sure if the VLANs mapped to the FWSM should have been created on "config Mode" and not on "Vlan Databse Mode". Any idea about this ?

Regards

Hello,

I would just add the VLAN's using the config mode.

As with regard to your FWSM, keep in mind that, prior to IOS 12.2(14)SY, only one SVI is supported on the FWSM. If you have a later version, use the command 'firewall multiple-vlan-interfaces' to enable support for multiple VLAN's.

Not sure if you already know this link, but you might want to check the FWSM FAQ:

Firewall Services Module Frequently Asked Questions

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2706/products_qanda_item09186a00801e9e26.shtml

Regards,

GP

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card