cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RIP issue in a Cisco router and Nortel Contivity setup.

pthiim
Level 1
Level 1

We have implemented a network with Nortel Contivity VPN switches that is used as fail-over if the leased lines goes down. The layout is one headquater and several branch offices.

The changes in the routing tables are handled by using RIP.

Most of the routing is handle by level 3 switches, but for one leased line Cisco 1600's are used.

In all the branch offices the Nortel Contivity is connected to an ADSL circuit (which is also used for "local" internet traffic) - All of these ADSL's have got an external IP address that looks like this: 80.x.x.x/30 or 80.x.x.x/32

The Contivity reports the route to the external IP address, through RIP to the headquater Cisco 1600.

Here they shows in the routing table, but above all the individual routes to 80.x.x.x/30 and /32, a route to 80.0.0.0/8 shows. This route is send to the Cisco 1600 at the other end of the leased line (in a branch office), together with all the correct routes, causing all trafic to 80.x.x.x to be routed to the head quater, were it (in most cases) should have been routed directly out on the internet through the firewall in the Contivity.

The RIP config in both routers looks like this:

router rip

version 2

network x.x.x.x (local ethernet subnet)

no auto-summary

ip classless is configures as well.

Hope someone could tell me how to disable the creation of this strange route entry. Or if it is possible to prevent RIP from sending it out.

Regards

Peter

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

aretana
Level 1
Level 1

Peter:

Sounds like the 1600 at the HQ is creating the route. The 'no auto-summary' statement should take care of that. Can you collect 'sh ip route 80.0.0.0 255.0.0.0', 'sh ip rip database 80.0.0.0' and 'sh ver'?

As far as stoping RIP from sending a route out, just add a distribute-list for the appropriate prefix and interface. Take a look at: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk365/tk80/technologies_tech_note09186a00801356a3.shtml

Alvaro.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

aretana
Level 1
Level 1

Peter:

Sounds like the 1600 at the HQ is creating the route. The 'no auto-summary' statement should take care of that. Can you collect 'sh ip route 80.0.0.0 255.0.0.0', 'sh ip rip database 80.0.0.0' and 'sh ver'?

As far as stoping RIP from sending a route out, just add a distribute-list for the appropriate prefix and interface. Take a look at: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk365/tk80/technologies_tech_note09186a00801356a3.shtml

Alvaro.

Alvaro,

During the gathering of the above mentioned info, I removed the router rip conf from both 1600 and re-entered it - Now only the "wanted" specific 80.x.x.x/30 and /32 routes shows up in the branch route table. Could it purhapse be because it lasted a while before I realised that the default RIP send version is 1, and when I changed it, the 80.0.0.0/8 route was already in the table - but then it should time out, as other RIP entries I suppose?

The IOS version is rather old and sh ip rip database is not supported:

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) 1600 Software (C1600-Y-M), Version 12.0(8), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 1986-1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Mon 29-Nov-99 16:32 by kpma

Image text-base: 0x02005000, data-base: 0x0246D288

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.0(3)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

ROM: 1600 Software (C1600-RBOOT-R), Version 12.0(3)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Thank you for your help.

Regards

Peter

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card