cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing on VTP client

mtaib
Level 1
Level 1

Please have a look a the attached diagram.

My question is very simple. VTP Server is simply advertising VLANs over trunk and other access swithces are learning them succesfully including L3 switch.

In L3 switch, can i statically assign IP addresses to the vlans learned and route between them. Basic idea is that i wanted to use L3 switch as default gateway to LAN clients from different VLANs.

Awaiting your answers.

Mtiab

3 Replies 3

brandon.bennett
Level 1
Level 1

There is no corrilation with VTP and intervlan routing. It would work perfectly fine with making your 3550 a VTP client and have it do your intervlan routing.

However, you can have more than one VTP server on your domain. There is no reason why your 3550 couldn't also be a VTP server. Just be mindful of your revision numbers.

Hope this helps

~Brandon Bennett

thanks Brandon Benett,

3560 can't be a VTP server, becuase other access switches are not directly connected to 3560. That means access switches don't have direct trunks to 3560.

All Access switches are directly connected to 4003 only.

VTP servers don't have to be directly connected to thier clients. Clients will pass thier information on. Transparent switches will do the same although they don't use thier information themselves.

But you would not gain much by having two vtp servers. Due to the fact if your 4003 goes down you are still up the creek.