cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Same DHCP-POOL on redundant routers?

geoff.porter
Level 1
Level 1

I have two redundant 2811 routers with one of those providing a DHCP-POOL to the phones/pcs on the LAN. Is it safe for me to add the indentical dhcp scope on the redundant router without causing any problems? Both of these routers have interfaces on the same LAN with HSRP between them.

thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

It's not advisable to configure an identical DHCP scope on two routers. This can result in duplicate IP address assignments. I can recommend two options.

1. Configure the switch, that connects to the two routers, as the DHCP server and a router failure will not affect DHCP services. This is the better option of the two.

2. Divide the IP address pool into two scopes and have each router act as the DHCP server for one scope.

HTH

Sundar

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hi,

It's not advisable to configure an identical DHCP scope on two routers. This can result in duplicate IP address assignments. I can recommend two options.

1. Configure the switch, that connects to the two routers, as the DHCP server and a router failure will not affect DHCP services. This is the better option of the two.

2. Divide the IP address pool into two scopes and have each router act as the DHCP server for one scope.

HTH

Sundar

In that case Redudancy of DHCP server its not achievable right.??

can you is it possible to configure DHCP is both router for redudancy of LAN segments.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco