cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Secure Shell

Yaniv_Saga
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.. By the way i found out that this forum is very helpful..

I manage a network that stretched in many sites..

the manage is done from one place , that is the Backbone. (i manage cisco routers,switches).

the remote Lans has its own technicians it means that i responsibile on the Remote routers.

Yesterday i found out that someone logged to my Router.

After Anlayzing I found out that someone sniffed my router and while i typed the password someone get the Telnet Packet and resovle my Password. i use a simple telnet.

I Heard About SSH.. Is Anyone know how to implement it on a cisco devices... and explain how it works in the encryption scheme.. is it a shared key,symtric or asymatric encryption..

thanks

3 Replies 3

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

Do You have another source because i'm unautrhize to see the page behind the link you gave me

I think that you should be able to get to this one:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk583/tk617/technologies_tech_note09186a00800949e2.shtml

Or you can go the the Cisco site and search for SSH and you should find many helpful references.

To use Secure Shell you will need an appropriate client on your PC. Many of us use SecureCRT and are happy with it. I have also used Putty which works ok. I understand that there is an extension to TeraTerm which does Secure Shell and I am sure that there are others.

Cisco has supported SSH version 1 for quite a while and in 12.3T Cisco has introduced support for SSH version 2.

The configuration on the router is pretty simple (assuming that the IOS feature set on the router or switch supports SSH). To enable SSH you must generate RSA keys. To generate RSA keys the router must be configured with a unique router name and a domain name. So the order of steps is basically:

configure router name

configure domain name

generate RSA keys

enable SSH

enjoy the ability to access remote devices knowing that your login ID and passwords are securely encrypted.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card