cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting up home server... Need help!

chasezz1010
Level 1
Level 1
Hi all, was getting into the whole networking scene and had to put a stop on it for going back to school for something else, since then i've been aquiring different products that i could build a home lab for when i got back into working on my ccna cert. The components i have are: Trendnet patch panel tc-p24c6 Cisco 2950 switch Cisco 3500xl switch Cisco 2600 router Dell power edge r300 server D-link 2bay cloud storage 2000(dns-320l) Also have 2 other usb hdd Main wireless router: cisco linksys ea3500 And have multiple other misc routers setup around the house as ap's. Im wanting to setup the server (has x2 500gb hdd - not sure o/s as of yet but open to suggestions on which to use) to run as a central station, where all other pc's, laptops, tablets, etc. Store files. My house is wired with cat 5e in almost every room and have all the ends coming out at the electrical panel in the basement (where my server rack will be). The cat 5e cables are too short for where i was wanting the rack and wondering if its possible to splice together cat 5e cables to make them longer to reach my rack? From there, im starting to get lost on how to set up and connect the switchs/routers and server for the best home soho use. I have a small home based web design company that i think id like to have on its own vlan so its only accesible by a few pcs, and have all the rest on another vlan (is it possible to have 1 vlan storage accesable by the other vlan(ie. Vlan A can access vlan A and vlan B files, but vlan B can only access vlan b files) or does that defeat the purpose of using vlans?) I'd like to keep security a fairly top priority as well. With all the crap that goes on these days you never know what may happen. If there is another piece of hardware that i should get that will would make this all run smoother? Also in the future i'd like to add some cisco ip phones into the house, so if theres something i can do now to prepare the system to accept those in the future i'd do it now. Thanks in advance for any help/insight you guys can send my way! Chaz
1 Reply 1

dragos_sony
Level 1
Level 1

Hello chasezz1010,

Let me tell you how i will do if it was my home.

I understand that your main connection will be the EA3500 Linksys Rtr. Check here : http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database to see if it support dd-wrt. This will be your default gateway for the internet.

I see that you don't have any layer 3 switches, so the 2600 rtr will do the routing (router on a stick).You can set up subinterfaces on the router 

For vlan XX use

int fa0/0.XX

enc dot1q XX

ip add 192.168.XX.1 255.255.255.0

create for every system one vlan:

Voip - Vlan 10

Servers - Vlan 20

Computers - Vlan 30

Wireless - Vlan 40

Transport - Vlan 50 and so on...

By default all Vlans can Access each other, you must do access lists to restrict access

ip access-list extended BAN_VLAN_20

permit tcp 10.10.20.0 0.0.0.255 established

deny   tcp 10.10.20.0 0.0.0.255 any

permit ip any any

!

interface Vlan100

description SVI_VLAN100

ip address 10.10.100.254 255.255.255.0

ip access-group BAN_VLAN_20 out

!

For iphones you will need a CUCM server or a CME Express

Cheers