cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP email with Portsecurity

averheaghe
Level 1
Level 1

Can I use SNMP to set a trap that emails me when a new MAC address is introduced to a switch using PortSecurity?

I have prot security enabled on my switches in shutdown mode now, and an CiscoWorks LMS. The problem is havinig the switches in shutdown mode is becoming a pain becuse of mobile users. Since LMS can be used to send email notifications via snmp when WAN changes can it email when port changes MAC?

Thanks

Andy

1 Reply 1

a-vazquez
Level 6
Level 6

Yes, in shut down mode, it is possible to send SNMP trap, when a security violation occurs in a switch port.But for this, the port security should be enabled in shutdown mode, not in violation mode.

According to the port security config of cat6500 switch,

If a security violation occurs, the Link LED for that port turns orange, and a link-down trap is sent to the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) manager. An SNMP trap is not sent if you configure the port for restrictive violation mode. A trap is sent only if you configure the port to shut down during a security violation.

For detailed info, refer this link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008007fa13.html

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card