cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Specification for router capable of 70Mb/s

simonreed
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking for the cheapest router, module and software option that will shift 70Mb/s of web and ftp traffic. The router will be a network edge router. It will need to terminate E1's to the internet access side and ethernet to the services side.

Please could someone advise on the cheapest option.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

hbaerten
Level 4
Level 4

If you really need 35 seperate E1's, and you want only one router, I think a 7500 is the lowest model capable of handling this, e.g. a 7505 with 5 PA-8T's.

Alternatively, you could ask your telco provider if the E1's can be aggregated in 2 or 3 channelised E3's. In that case I'd consider a 7206VXR with a PA-2E3 (or maybe even a 3745 with two NM-1T3/E3's).

Of course to determine which router, which cpu, how much RAM etc. you may also want to consider what routing protocols you require, full bgp tables or not, additional services like encryption or QoS ...

hth

Herbert

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

hbaerten
Level 4
Level 4

If you really need 35 seperate E1's, and you want only one router, I think a 7500 is the lowest model capable of handling this, e.g. a 7505 with 5 PA-8T's.

Alternatively, you could ask your telco provider if the E1's can be aggregated in 2 or 3 channelised E3's. In that case I'd consider a 7206VXR with a PA-2E3 (or maybe even a 3745 with two NM-1T3/E3's).

Of course to determine which router, which cpu, how much RAM etc. you may also want to consider what routing protocols you require, full bgp tables or not, additional services like encryption or QoS ...

hth

Herbert

Thanks, I have decided to go for a 7301 and get the carrier to present the connection as 100Mb RJ45. This saves a great deal of expense.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card