cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switches with multiple Class C's??

phampton
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a switch that can be configured so one group of ports is assigned to one Class C (WAN) and a second group of ports is assigned to a different one (LAN)?

5 Replies 5

MickPhelps
Level 1
Level 1

You can configure switches with Virtual LANs (VLANs). A VLAN is a broadcast domain. If you configure one group of ports on VLAN 1 and another on VLAN 2, you can assign IP addresses like:

192.168.1.0/24 to VLAN 1 and 192.168.2.0/24 to VLAN 2.

You will need a router to route between the two VLANs. A layer 3 switch will provide the router services as well.

Mick.

Thank you, Mick! Can you give me the model number of an example of a Layer 3 switch? I presently have a 2900XL.

Pat

Hi Pat,

I know that cisco 2621 can do the trick, but it has limited number of ports. You might need to use a switch/hub if you need more ports. Cisco 6509 is faster and provides up to 288 fast-ethernet ports, but it costs much more than cisco 2621 and a switch.

Hope my info help.

Good luck.

mbjohnson
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Pat,

The Cisco 2621 is a dual fast-ethernet port router not a switch , but you can use it to connect to your 2900 and route between VLANs. If you want to move up to a chassi based L2/L3 switch, the 6500 is obviously great but expensive, or you can go with a 4000 series or even an older 5500 with RSM module will work fine.

Good luck.

Thanks all! I have to go play with my switch now! My boss is about to buy me a new router so I better get the switch configured and online before the new toy gets here!